For those of you who wonder what a typical day looks like around here, I took some photos... more to come soon!
 |
This is the view from the bridge that I walk over on my way to work.
Below are walking and biking paths that run along the river. If you go
a ways, you'll also notice public exercise equipment every so often, too.
No need for a gym membership here! Well, not when it's nice out, anyway. |
 |
Dok boki. I bought it from a street vendor after a raving recommendation
from my students and, yes, I ate it. It's actually not bad - although, I did water it
down a little 'cause it was pretty hot. The cylinders are made of rice; they're squishy.
I think there's some sort of egg in there too, but it's hard to say for sure. |
 |
Back at home, this news-breaking scene took place right outside my window!
See the reporter there at the bottom? There's a cameraman, too. I still don't know
what was going on, but I did notice an unusually large hole in the ground. |
 |
Look, this is downtown Seoul! It's a pretty lively place.
Imagine also the sound of horns honking and the smell of fumes, along
with an occasional whiff of something sweet and freshly fried. |
 |
Another view, this time including a segment of the continual
crosswalk crowd. Notice how nicely everyone's dressed!
Koreans wear suits like Portlanders wear Birkenstocks. |
 |
Cars and pedestrians interact on a very personal level in the city.
Technically, cars have the right of way, but really, whoever can go, goes. |
 |
Koreans are known for their love of garlic. They know it makes them
smell, but no one seems to mind. A few of you can probably relate :) |
 |
Check it out! The palm trees, Mitsubishi, and swervy skyscraper -
what a combo! Okay, the palm trees and Mitsubishi are part of a
fund raising event, but the skyscraper, that's just normal. |
 |
The lady in brown is about to make a break for it, but everyone else will
wait for the signal. Notice the earth tones. Also, hear the traffic,
some chatter, and feel people standing very close in every direction.
Don't worry if you bump into one of them; it's practically expected. |
 |
Now there's the flash of brightness we've been waiting for!
Buildings are often plastered full of signs and can be pretty
overwhelming, even just at a glance. Btw, that tunnel-like
opening on the left is a subway station entrance/exit. |
 |
I went in the subway entrance. How did I end up in a mall? Wait,
there's the sign; this is a subway station... but it is definitely a mall as well. |
 |
Finally, an advertisement I can relate to!
But don't Canadians live in igloos? |
Thanks for posting more photos! (I also read "Photos 2") It is so neat to be able to see where you're at and "virtually" connect (like the pun? It was eSpecially for you!). Have you been wearing your Birkenstocks in Korea?! Also, I'm pretty sure that the garlic comment was intended for me... ;) Seems like Koreans are almost as confused as Canadians. :D
ReplyDelete